Wednesday 1 June 2011

Trust me, I'm a Doctor =)



So I can finally share with you that I have passed my PhD! YAY! =)

I found out that I had passed my PhD pending minor corrections in the first week of February when we were in Rotterdam looking for an apartment but I only received the examiner’s reports with the requested corrections when we got back to Rotterdam after our travels. It was supposed to be confidential until my corrections and response to the examiner’s reports had been received by the Doctoral Degree Board (DDB) so we told a few people such as family and people who asked, but now that it is official we can share it with everyone =)

So all of you who think I have been a site-seeing couch potato since Justin has started work, think again! Apart from unpacking a mountain of boxes and organising our apartment, a lot of time has been spent completing the corrections, getting my supervisor’s approval, printing everything and getting it posted off to Cape Town in time for June graduation. It was touch and go but the documents finally made it there and were handed in last week Friday. I received the final ‘pass after corrections’ confirmation from the DDB on Monday. So it is done and dusted and all is set for graduation next week Friday, the 10th of June.

Unfortunately I will not be present at the graduation ceremony in Cape Town next week, which is a pity but what can you do. I would like Justin to be there as well but flights for both of us at the moment is just not practical. It will still be a special day wherever we are and we will be on that stage in CT in spirit! We are planning our own celebrations this side =)

Thank you to everyone who helped me during my studies, whether it was help with the actual project or just being supportive. You guys were great and I could not have done it alone. Special thanks to my parents and family, to my awesome husband Justin, to my lab mates and cell group. You guys rock! Also a special thanks to Rob and Sue who received the docs in CT and helped me to get everything handed in on that side. Thanks guys! I’ll stop there before this becomes an Oscar speech! lol. But seriously, thank you.

Congratulations to Chris who also recently passed his PhD. Chris and I started our Master’s together in the same lab and then upgraded to a PhD degree. So it has been a long road for both of us and it is awesome to be graduating together. Enjoy grad dude!

So at the moment my time is mostly spent looking for a job. Hopefully the right one comes along soon! Watch this space!


In other news it is a long weekend this weekend and the weather forecast is looking good, finally! Still no fixed plans but some exploring will happen, maybe watch the new X-Men movie, complete the assembly of our new Ikea goodies and of course Justin’s cricket game on Sunday.


Sorry, no pics this time. Those of you who usually just skip to the pics can get the gist in the first paragraph or two ;~)


Have a kewl rest of week and weekend!

x

1 comment:

  1. What?! People just skip to the pictures?! Tut Tut!! LOL! ... I promise I go back and read all the details when I have time =) =) =)

    What AWESOME news!!! *CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS!!* ... A smart couch potato you are!! You go girl!! Aaawww!!! I'm sure you'll be missed on the stage next week... =( =( =( Maybe a friend can skype so you can "be there" ....

    Never mind!! You've done it... It's over and now the real fun can start!! We'll hold a mini celebration here too... Pop over, we could make a little stage and sort a graduation hat!!

    Sjoe Girl!! One lllooonnngg journey over... Now let the adventures begin!!

    ... and CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS to you too Chris!! WWoooHhooo!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete