Sunday 26 May 2013

Vietnam: những gì bạn đang tìm kiếm?

Or in English: "What you looking for?". If you can walk down one of the main streets in Ho Chi Minh City without being asked this question then you had better check if you are still in Ho Chi Minh City! 

This week I was in Ho Chi Minh City (the largest city in Vietnam and previously called Saigon) and Ha Noi (the Capital of Vietnam) for work. The company I work for has offices in Vietnam and they had asked if I could help on one of their projects. It will probably include a few trips to Vietnam. How could I say no?

I arrived in Ho Chi Minh City on Sunday afternoon and had a few hours to explore the city. 


A poster series paying tribute to "Uncle Ho" (after whom Ho Chi Minh City is named) and the Opera House in the background.


Ho Chi Minh


A typical bonsai tree. They can be seen all over the city, particularly in front of fancy hotels and significant landmarks.


Saigon Notre-Dame Basilica


Since the Reunification Palace was still open when I passed it I decided to step inside. The Reunification Palace is where the Vietnam War came to an end on 30 April 1975 and is one of the main landmarks in HCMC.




A replica of the tank that crashed into the gates of the Reunification Palace and allowed the Palace to be overrun, signalling the end of the war.


One of the retro rooms in the palace


The view from the palace



The view from the rivers edge.


A view out over the river



The Opera House at night

After just one night in HCMC it was off to Ha Noi.


View from my hotel room in Ha Noi


Driving alongside one of the lakes in Ha Noi.

After 2 nights in Ha Noi it was back to HCMC. The night I arrived (Sunday) I had been given a small dark room with a tiny window and no view. For my second stay at the same hotel I made sure that I had a room with a view. 


The view from my hotel room in HCMC. 


The main form of transport in Vietnam is motorbikes and scooters. If you want to cross the road and decide to wait for there to be no vehicles in sight you will never get across. Best thing is to find a local and do as they do. 

At the end of the week one of my colleagues from the HCMC office gave me a tour of the city on the back of his scooter. He also took me out to try some traditional Vietnamese food called Pho. Thanks Huy! It was a great evening.



Pho

Although this was a great first introduction to Vietnam, and South-East Asia, next time I will definitely make an effort to get out of the city and explore the countryside. From the photos I have seen there are some amazing places to explore. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment