Thursday 26 May 2011

I want to ride my bicycle! I want to ride my bike!


My omafiets arrived on Tuesday! YAY! =)

The bicycle was delivered to the door and arrived in a beeg box. Some assembly was required, however, no instructions were included. Hm mm. The Dutch must be born knowing all things bike related. Fortunately the assembly wasn’t too difficult but took a bit of time and two hours later it was all ready. Thank you my amazing husband!  =)

The only thing that was still required was to pump up the tires. Bron tracked down a pump on Wednesday morning but was being a bit doff and couldn’t work out how to use it. Again, no instructions. She was pretty bleak as she was keen to go for a ride! Fortunately her awesome husband got it all sorted in the evening and they went out for their first ride together =)

We rode along the canal near our house down to the Erasmus bridge on the edge of the city and around the park. Was very cool. Rotterdam is very pretty and green at the moment (I am hesitant to say in the summer since it isn’t feeling very summery right now!). The sun is only setting at about 9:30pm at the moment and it is great to ride around in the evening. The city is very organised with bike lanes on most roads and usually on both sides of the road. Cyclists also have right of way generally. The robots, sorry traffic lights!, also all have pedestrian and cyclist lights. Very organised!

Today Bron went out on her own but took a tumble and has two grazed knees and a very sore shoulder! It’s been ages since I’ve been on a bike and feel a bit unstable. Think I need a red L on the back of my bike! The guy that bumped into me stopped though and came back to help me and see if I was ok.

Today it has been very windy and has been raining quite a bit and quite hard since the afternoon. Feels like real Cape Town weather! Even though we have lived in CT for more than ten years rain in Spring/Summer still feels right. Although I have a feeling that rain is normal all year round here....

Justin’s cricket game has been cancelled this week so we have a free weekend. The plan is to check out Utrecht on Saturday, church on Sunday and then pick out a cd rack/display cabinet from Ikea in Delft on Sunday afternoon.

Hope you are all well and have a good weekend!

x

The beeg box!




What's in it?


The bits 'n pieces


The assembly! Front wheel...


...pedals...


...and the all important bell!


The finished product

No comments:

Post a Comment