Tuesday 10 September 2013

A Summer Break in London

After 5 crazy weeks of wrapping things up in Rotterdam, Bron headed to London for 2 weeks of much needed rest and quality time with cute 6 month old little Josh =)

Although I enjoy being a tourist in London and try to see at least one new thing each time I visit, my regular trips there are about family time rather than sightseeing. Not having seen my sister or Josh since he was 6 weeks old, I was particularly looking forward to this trip, catching up, and getting to know my little nephew. It is not often that I am in London in Summer and we were blessed with particularly good weather most of the time. It made a pleasant change from the grey old town I am used to. 

Our days were relaxed, slow and centred around little Josh. They were filled with walks in the park, feeding the ducks, swims at the baby splash pools, naps, pureed vegetables, fun on the jolly jumper, hugs, sloppy kisses and, of course, bath time! I am now a dab hand at feeding a distracted 6 month old runny rice cereal but I did not earn my nappy changing badge. Poo nappies are for Mom & Dad only!  


Walking in the park. Josh is fascinated by leaves! 


Meal times are generally messy affairs


Swim time with Dad


Water babe


Splash pool fun


Sneaky afternoon naps on the big bed with Aunty Bron


Selfies!


There was also lots of twinny catch up and family time. Fun trips out included shopping and Starbucks coffee dates, a family day trip to Monkey World and the amazingly beautiful Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door in Dorset, a twinny day trip to Brighton which was a first for Bron, boerie rolls at a new South African coffee shop (not the Amsterdam kind!) The Cofffee Cup in Wimbledon, a real South African braai, lunch with Shell’s school teacher friends, and dinner at Michelle and Graham’s favourite local Thai restaurant for Graham’s birthday.


Brighton


On the search for monkeys at Monkey World in Dorset




Ring tailed Lemur at Monkey World


Watching the antics of the lemurs 



Lulworth Cove



Kisses for Mom! Joshie's first visit to the beach!


Cuddles for Dad


Durdle Door




Beautiful family


I was also able to catch up with some South African friends while in London. I enjoyed a lovely breakfast with newlyweds Bronwen and Malcolm fresh off the plane from SA. Thanks for meeting up with me even though you just arrived back! Was awesome to see you guys and catch up. Thanks also to Kirsten for joining me for a spot of shopping and a Starbucks in Kingston, Gillian for a lovely afternoon of tea, Lisa for a wonderfully fun laughter filled evening over pizza and Ian for walks around the city, tea and scones, a much needed pie and cider pub dinner and a tour of the London Stock Exchange!


At The Coffee Cup in Wimbledon


I also want some Mom!


Fascinated with the patterns on Kirsten's bag


One of my favourite sight in London, St Paul's Cathedral


The London Stock Exchange in Paternoster Square behind St Paul's


My one touristy thing for this trip was a visit to the British Library. I hadn’t been there before, and book loving nerd that I am, took the opportunity to pop in while I was in the area. I loved the layout with the King’s library taking pride of place in the centre with the galleries and reading rooms arranged on 5 floors around it. I didn’t have a reading pass so could not enter any of the reading rooms but I did enjoy the Sir John Ritblat Gallery with Treasures of the British Library. This museum is home to anything that was ever recorded on paper. Items include two copies of the Gutenberg Bible from 1454 (the first book to be printed using the technique of printing), drawings by Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci, Letters by Napolean in 1798, the prayer books of Princess Elizabeth (1545) and Lady Jane Grey (1539), songs by the Beatles, maps, other religious texts and much more. It was an afternoon well spent!


The British Library with the Sir Isaac Newton statue


The impressive King's Library


And then it was time to go back to Rotterdam =( It was sad to leave Graham, Michelle and little Josh but also meant that I got to see Justin for the first time in 7 weeks =)

Thank you to Shell and Graham for hosting me! It was so lovely to see you and little Josh and I had an awesome time. I miss you so much already! I hope you will come visit us in Vitoria soon!

1 comment:

  1. ... Aaaahhh!! So so so glad you got to spend some special quality time with Josh and us! ... You were a pro in the end! Especially with nap time! You have that waxed :) :) :) ... Looking forward to the next visit!! ... And so is Josh!! ... Gorgeous photos!! Beautiful memories!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete