Wednesday 20 July 2011

De Pindakaasvloer!


As promised, de Pindakaasvloer!

In May when I still had free time on my hands, one of Justin’s work colleagues challenged me to find the peanut butter floor in Rotterdam. I quickly discovered that it was at Museum Boijmans van Beuningen (thanks google!) and I went to check it out! We visited the Boijmans in the first week of February when we were here looking for an apartment so I didn’t feel bad going back on a Wednesday when admission is free =) When we were there in February the peanut butter platform wasn’t there yet, that section of the museum was under renovation.

The peanut butter platform was in its own room which smells decidedly like peanut butter! Which if you like peanut butter is probably ok. There isn’t much to see but below is the evidence that I was there! The ‘artist’, Wim Schippers, works a lot with food and likes to do things on a big scale. He has previously covered a floor with shards of glass and another with salt, apparently it is called floor sculpture, and he also designed a giant pink pudding. He likes to go with random everyday objects so that people wonder what the point is. Which is exactly what I wondered. I think I should try my hand at this modern art thing ;~)

The Boijmans displays a huge mix of art from Goya to Dali and likes to support different forms of modern art. Such as the model of a man coming through the floor in one of the galleries. The museum is also home to my favourite Rembrandt painting of his son Titus at his desk. Check it out if you get the chance. I also enjoyed the Van Gogh-Roulin reunion exhibition. The display is Van Gogh portraits of three members of the Roulin family. It was very kewl =)

At the time I was there, there is also an exhibition entitled The Beauty in Science. They approached scientists around the country and displayed 800 images and videos of different sciences from microbiology to geology. My favourite exhibit was the 3D movies of unborn foetus’s at different stages of development. There was one clip of triplets where two of the babies where sharing an amniotic sack and one was on its own. It was really amazing!

Justin doesn’t have a cricket game this weekend so we have a free weekend. If it doesn’t rain, again, we are planning to get out and about! We want to find and explore the storm surge barrier at Massvlaakte which is near Hoek van Holland and not too far from us (~20 km cycle, chances!). Other than that no real plans.


Hope you are well and having a good week! Enjoy the pics!

x


PS: Thanks for 3000 + hits! =)




De Pindakaasvloer! 



Titus at his desk by Rembrandt


No comments:

Post a Comment